Saturday, November 1, 2008

Using Blogs In The Classroom

When the internet first became available to me back in the mid 1990's I was instantly drawn to the idea of being able to communicate with people instantly. The people I was initially interested in talking to were my friends and family but I soon realized I could communicate with anybody. I rememember going to a couple of chatrooms early and I was a troll. I liked the idea of being able to say anything to anybody, annonomously and have zero reprocussions. I felt that the internet was a place where one could go and be somebody they weren't. I would have never had said half the things in real life but it seemed okay online. Soon however that interest faded away and I was able to communicate civily.

My first reaction to the article was that having students blog and discuss online would degrade, straight to the gutter in a matter of minutes. I like the fact that there are websites like MOOse Crossing that help young students realize that typing is just like talking. As you know, putting emotion, inflection, feeling etc. into writing is difficult but by having students work at it civily it may make them better writers in the end.

I liked Mr. Harbeck's use of his blog to keep his kids on track on a daily basis. I am sure his students think it is pretty cool that they get to logon to get their assignments and to see what's going on elsewhere.

I currently teach 6th-8th grade special education and I can see how blogging might help my students express themselves better. I have quite a few students that may go the entire year without uttering a word in class but they might let me into their world if I allowed them to blog. If I were to introduce blogging into the classroom, I would do it as an online journal/diary. Give my students 10 minutes to write in their blog about what is happening in their world. It might be therapeutic for them and as stated earlier give me a glimpse into their world.

No comments: